Please note: Admission to Leonardo College is not possible at the current time. As soon as applications can be accepted again it will be announced here.
- Conferences and congresses:
Only Leonardo fellows are eligible to submit applications for funding. Applications must be submitted in writing to the ZIEW (since 4/1/2017 Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualification, ZiWis) three weeks before departure. Only conference and congress travel which has an academic focus is eligible for funding by Leonardo College. In individual cases, this may also include workshops and seminars if they are relevant to a student’s degree program. According to the funding rules, the criteria for “Conference and congress travel exclude excursions and travel for the purpose of language courses or examinations.
Only a small percentage of internships abroad are eligible for travel funding from Leonardo College, i.e. only those internships abroad can be sponsored which must be completed abroad according to the degree program regulations. If this is not the case, it is recommended that students inquire e.g. at FAU’s Central Office for International Affairs about possible funding for an intended internship, http://www.uni-erlangen.de/internationales/wege-ins-ausland/, or seek other options, e.g. in the DAAD Scholarship Database or under e-fellows.net.
Internships in Germany of any kind are categorically ineligible for funding. Medical students’ practical year or clinical practice are not eligible for funding either in Germany or abroad.
Medical students can inquire at the Bundesvertretung der Medizinstudierenden in Deutschland e.V. (bvmd – German Federal Association of Medical Students), http://bvmd.de, or search in the DAAD Scholarship Database or under e-fellows.net for sources of funding for their practical year or clinical practice abroad.
- Funding of study visits and internships abroad
In both cases, students must provide a letter of recommendation as evidence that the period abroad is relevant to their degree program. Only travel costs are sponsored. In detail, the following are eligible for funding:
Travel from a place of study abroad, if this is not funded by another party, whereby the “place of study” is that place where a program is continued abroad or a diploma or Master’s thesis produced.
Travel in conjunction with commencing an internship abroad, if this internship is stipulated in the examination regulations and the costs are not borne by the organization hosting the internship. Ineligible are, in particular, language courses and internships abroad if according to the examination regulations these may but must not necessarily be completed aboard as well as travel in preparation of the visit abroad.
- Study visits
Only such study visits which are undertaken in connection with a final paper, generally a Diplom, Master’s or Bachelor thesis, are eligible for funding in terms of travel costs.
- Applications must be submitted three weeks before departure and include the following documents:
An informal application letter signed by you of about one page that includes the title, place and date of the conference. This letter must also include details of why your participation is relevant to the degree program and important to you. A letter of recommendation from a lecturer which confirms that he/she is in favor of your participation.
- The form “Auftrag zur Durchführung einer Reise (Travel Application)”, completed and signed bottom right by you (“die/der Beauftragte”). Please leave the “Cost Center” box blank (“Buchungsstelle”).
- A short preliminary cost breakdown showing the costs you are likely to incur, i.e. for conferences the registration fee, travel expenses and accommodation, for study visits and internships travel expenses only.
- A description of the contents of the conference or a leaflet, invitation or similar (1-2 pages).
- A short letter of recommendation of about a page from one of your lecturers in which he/she confirms that he/she is in favor of your participation. Important: Please send all documents with signatures by post to ZIEW (since 4/1/2017 Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualification, ZiWis) or hand them in person.
In the case of internships abroad and conferences, evidence of their relevance for a student’s degree program must be provided as a letter of recommendation.
- Each fellow can receive support amounting to a total of EUR 1800 during his/her membership of the College. This sum can be distributed over several trips until it is exhausted.
- The amount of funding per trip is based on the eligible costs less a deductible. The deductible in the case of a total sum of up to EUR 500: EUR 0, between EUR 500 and EUR 1000: EUR 100 and between EUR 1,000 and EUR 1800: EUR 250.
If the verified costs exceed the maximum sum of EUR 1800 then the funding sum equates to the full amount of EUR 1800.
- The following costs are refundable
– Hotel accommodation of up to EUR 100 per night
– Conference fees
– Travel costs, whereby the cheapest option must be chosen: German Rail 2nd class, flight or own car (Allowance: 30 cent per kilometer). The applicant is obliged to show, e.g. by means of a quotation, that the option chosen is the cheapest.
– Other, such as costs for transfer, rental car or taxi.
- Subsistence (daily allowance) is not reimbursed.
- In the case of study visits and internships abroad, only travel expenses are sponsored. Travel expenses for internships abroad are only then eligible for funding if the internship is stipulated in the examination regulations and the costs are not borne by the organization hosting the internship.
- Leonardo College sponsors conference and congress travel exclusively. In individual cases this may also include study-related workshops/seminars. According to the funding rules, the criteria for conference and congress travel exclude excursions and travel for the purpose of language courses, information events etc.
Travel expense form
- Upon return, a final travel expense form must be completed, stating address and bank account details, and submitted together with the receipts to the ZIEW (since 4/1/2017 Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualification, ZiWis).
Please note: Entitlement to the reimbursement of travel expenses expires if it is not claimed within six months after the day of the end of travel (Section 3 (5)(1) of the Bavarian Travel Expenses Act (BayRKG)). In this case, the ZIEW (since 4/1/2017 Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualification, ZiWis), Bismarckstraße. 12, 91954 Erlangen, is obliged to claim back any grants already paid out.